From the 11th to the 31st of March, an exhibition offers the medieval manuscripts of the Cathedral Libray of Esztergom. Titled “For They View for Your Souls…” – Codices in the Cathedral Library of Esztergom, the exhibition is on see in the freshly restored exhibition rooms of the Bibliotheca.
Right after the library moved back again to Esztergom in 1853, János Scitovszky (1785-1866), archbishop of Esztergom, József Dankó and Nándor Knauz, canons of Esztergom each and every bequeathed 4 codices to the selection. Between these, there was a 12th-century cathedral schoolbook containing a commentary of the Track of Songs amongst other texts, and a number of manuscripts of Bohemian origin.
Most codices in the library originated and were utilized in Central Europe, in Bohemia, Vienna, and Southern Germany. Yet, some of the manuscripts arrived from the English, Italian, and French territories. The decoration of Peter Lombard’s commentary on the Psalms is a large-quality product of English miniature portray. The exhibited manuscripts existing a wide vary of medieval ecclesiastical literature encompassing guides on liturgy, theology, church legislation, astronomy, lexicography, as very well as sermon collections, prayer guides, and schoolbooks.
The exhibition coincides with the publication of a catalog describing with good erudition the medieval manuscripts preserved in the Esztergom reserve collections (The Codices of the Cathedral Library of Esztergom, the Archiepiscopal Simor Library, and the Esztergom Town Library). The e book was edited by Edit Madas and published by Kinga Körmendy, Judit Lauf, Edit Madas, and Gábor Sarbak. Kinga Körmendy’s extensive introduction offers the history of the collections and the in-depth descriptions are accompanied by various indices, appendices, a bibliography, and colour plates. The e-book is the most new quantity of the Fragmenta et codices in bibliothecis Hungariae sequence. The ebook can be requested here: [email protected]. A German-language model of the catalog is forthcoming.
(Text and pictures by the Cathedral Library of Esztergom)