What is a non-motif?
Which is what I simply call a scene from our day to day environment that is familiar but hardly ever interpreted by artists. I wrote an post about non-motifs in the February / March concern (#149) of Global Artist Journal.
Unlike a picturesque motif, a non-motif is unconventional, unpredicted, but also commonplace and recognizable. If you try googling the phrase “plein-air painting” you in all probability won’t obtain a one automobile or quickly-foodstuff restaurant or utility pole, inspite of the fact that those factors are all about us. Why not? Is it for the reason that they are intrinsically unattractive or simply because we have not nonetheless uncovered the elegance in them?
Paintings can serve to awaken us to the secret of the earth we in fact inhabit, these kinds of as parking plenty, supermarket interiors, fuel stations or back alleys. They have a bizarre luminous energy more than my creativity. When I commence to paint them, I truly feel as while I have established foot on an unexplored continent.
Suggestions for Succeeding with Non-Motifs
1. Begin out with an plan of the light-weight, colour or compositional effects you want to obtain, and plug the varieties into that plan. For instance, you could possibly want to do a limited cropping on a colourful signal or you could want a heat, backlit scene with edge lights.
2. Use a viewfinder, a mirror or a digicam to give you a fresh eye on the scene. It is often really hard to realize fantastic topics, even when you are wanting straight at them.
3. Do a thumbnail sketch in pencil or paint to visualize what options you may need to make.
4. Try out to crucial into an psychological reaction that you have about a place, a little something you love or despise about it, a juxtaposition that looks weird or someplace that you appreciated hanging out as a boy or girl.
5. Remain neighborhood. Paint the subject matter at various situations of working day, and if you can, diverse seasons of the calendar year.
6. If you are traveling, paint an common avenue, not the Instagram spot.